1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon culinary lavender buds, finely ground
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Line a mini cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, buttermilk and vinegar and mix well using an electric mixer. Batter should be smooth and creamy, but quite thick.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop batter and fill each cupcake with a scant tablespoon.
- Baking time depends on what size cupcakes you are making. I made mini cupcakes and they were done after 15 minutes. Larger cupcakes will take as long as 25 minutes. Do not overbake or your cupcakes with be too dry. Test for doneness with a tooth pick. When you insert a tooth pick into the cupcake, it should come out clean if the cupcake is done.
White Chocolate & Lavender Cream Cheese Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
3 ounces softened cream cheese
3 tablespoon half and half
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon culinary lavender, ground
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 ounces sweet white chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
1. In mixer, blend powdered sugar, cream cheese, half and half, vanilla and salt.
2. In double boiler melt white chocolate with butter over 1″ simmering water. Add to creamed mixture, beat until smooth.